Friday, July 18, 2008

My Math Dilemma

This is Lynne. My house is clean (thanks to Keisha), the dishes are done, all but two loads of laundry are done, all my have to do today list is done, and I am actually thinking about school. I learned not too long ago that I am going to have to teach math as part of my schedule this next year. I have avoided it as long as I can. I brought home the teacher math book in an effort to learn it and a friend (Lynn) loaned me her homeschool math book but the block in my brain continues. When it comes to anything beyond adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing (the last two being questionable) I draw a blank. People tell me that "I am not trying hard enough" or "I could if I just put more effort into it" or "Can't never could do anything". I have heard them all but it doesn't change the fact that I just don't understand math. It is that illusive foreign language that I can't seem to grasp. I can remember telephone numbers of people, places, etc after they are told to me one time. I do sudoku puzzles for relaxation. I can quickly add and subtract multiple numbers in my head. All of that has to do with numbers but when you throw in x, y, and z and tell me that I have to accept that this long drawn out process ends up with the letter actually being a number I get lost. (In fact as I type that last sentence out, I find myself drifting in my thoughts). In college, I took college algebra twice. The first time I made a 50 in the class so with determination that I was going to graduate no matter what I went after it a second time. I attended class every time, I had two tutors that gave up on me, Jeff even tried to tutor me (and I think if he hadn't quit tutoring me then we wouldn't have gotten married), and finally I begged the professor for a D in the class. When grades actually came out after graduation I discovered I had actually made a 20 in the class. It takes real talent to go from bad to worse in a class. Now I am faced with teaching special ed classes math lessons. Will the torture never end!!!! :) I guess I have put off my lessons for as long as I can so with a heavy heart I leave you so that I may attend to my math book. Thank goodness I am the teacher so I do have the answers not that it helps me to understand it. Have a glorious day!!!!! :)

3 comments:

Beaver said...

Audrey struggled in math through 6th grade. I was concerned about how she was going to do in a middle school math class. But, her teacher seemed nice and said right away that she always struggled in math. Audrey had her best math year ever that year and made great strides. I think a teacher who knew what it was like to struggle in math was just what she needed to open her math understanding door... :-)

Those of us who have always "gotten" math don't know what it's like to not understand. (Dad and I have had our heads spinning at times trying to explain a "simple" concept to her...) Sounds like you have an advantage in that area.

Anonymous said...

Hey,some one got through High School (under Mrs. Allmon) and UMHB without knowing where to put the right vowels. I know, I never had to teach spelling. WE will be praying for you all year.
LOVEmom

Anonymous said...

When it comes to processing mathematical concepts, scientists believe there are 3 types of people: those who understand it and those who don’t.

They also say 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.