Monday, September 15, 2008

Maypearl on Alert!

This morning on the way to work, we entered the city of Maypearl and immediately noticed police cars with their lights flashing.  I just thought it was someone getting a ticket but then Jesse said "Why do they have their guns drawn?" I looked down a side street as we drove by and was in the process of saying, "I don't think they had their guns out..." when I saw a task force officer with a very large shotgun crouched down behind his car.  I then noticed the snipers on the roof of the Busy Bee.  I saw a friend of ours who has a business downtown talking with an officer so I called him.  He said that he was in the process of trying to find out what was going on.  I went on and dropped the boys off but not before we noticed the ambulance and paddy wagon at the Exxon and that the school was pretty much surrounded by sheriff deputies   They stopped the cross country team from running and sent them back to the school.  I went on in to my building and my assistant came in.  Her husband and son work for the sheriff's department so I asked her what was up.  She didn't know and the guys wouldn't answer their phones.  At 800am the entire district went on lock down (code red).  We sat in the dark with our doors locked until about 830 when they told us we could go about our day.  My friend from downtown called about that time and said that a man had broken into the police station and stolen the police chief's gun and was holding him hostage.  He did try to fire upon the policeman but the safety was on and so nothing happened except the clip fell out of the gun.  At that point the man took the gun and ran out.  They believe there is still a bullet in the gun.  The goofy thing was that the man gave the police chief his driver's license right before all this happened.  When he left he didn't get his license back.  They know who he is and are now looking for him.  They told us that we may have to lock down again if they suspect he is still around.   The deputies are still patroling the area heavily.

No comments: