Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stiles

I was reading my book last night (see "What I'm Reading Now" in the right hand column), and one of the characters was sitting on a "stile".  That made me wonder, "What is a stile?".  According to Wikipedia, "stile is a structure which provides people a passage through or over a fence or boundary via stepsladders, or narrow gaps. Stiles are often built in rural areas or along footpaths to allow access to an adjacent field or area separated by a fencewall or hedge."
These first two stiles are crossing Hadrians Wall in England.  There are many different styles of stiles.
This last one has a dog gate that you can lift up to let your dog through the fence.
And that is what a stile is.  Since my grandmothers maiden name was Stiles, I can't help but wonder if there is a connection somehow.

2 comments:

Grandpa said...

I think Stiles was an English family name. There are a lot of cross country walking paths in that part of the world where stiles would be quite helpful.

onemotherslove said...

very interesting! Perhaps we come from plumbers and stile builders!