Saturday, February 14, 2009

We were a host home for DNOW at our church.  We hosted the 9th adn 10th grade boys again this year.  It worked well for Will because he didn't have to pack up and go anywhere.  In fact, he slept in his own bed every night.  Piper enjoyed having people to sleep on at night.  I think she thought that her pack expanded.  The boys played cards, visited, got to know each other better, and chased each other up and down the halls with nerf guns.  At night, the living room was wall to wall bodies.  There were kids sleeping in the gaming nook, Jesse's room, and under the dining table.  It was funny.  Will wouldn't let anyone in his room.  He likes his privacy.  HAHA!!!  Feeding this crowd was an adventure.  I made the mistake of not getting to the grocery store on the first night so when they arrived at 1100pm the boys were starved.  They ate popcorn, chips, cereal, and fig newtons (they were hungry!). They drank a gallon of sweet tea and 1/2 gallon of milk.  The next morning I got up and cooked 2 pounds of bacon and 42 pancakes.  They also went through a gallon of orange juice and a gallon of milk.  Jeff and I went to the grocery store and I had asked the boys to give me a wish list of snacks.  They really had a pretty fair list of snacks.  Cheetoes, beef jerky, bean dip, Cheezit crackers, Ritz crackers, and lemonade.  We bought that and then I made 4 dozen cookies.  I made up 3 gallons of lemonade, a gallon of sweet tea, a gallon of unsweet tea and when I got up the next morning it was all gone.  On Sunday morning, I cooked a pound of bacon, 30 sausage patties, 2 dozen eggs, and 4o biscuits.  I also made a gallon of orange juice and had a gallon of milk set out for them by 815am.  All this disappeared by 845am.  I was totally exhausted when it was all over but I really do love cooking for the crowd.  I enjoy watching people enjoy eating what I cook.  I hope the boys enjoyed being here as well.

2 comments:

onemotherslove said...

Wow... could you imagine if you had all those boys all the time... eating

Unknown said...

Wow... so. much. food. it's takes us a week to get through a gallon of milk now